Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Comic Collection

I've been collecting comics for 26 years now. I've got about 7,000 of them. All in boxes, sorted chronologically. They start in 1961 and continue to the present day. They fill what used to be a closet but with the doors removed is now known as the comic fortress as my wife calls it.

I've been spending spare time re-reading them; deciding which incomplete series I'd like to fill the holes in and what comics I could trade in and not miss. There is definitely more of the former than the latter which is why the collection continues to grow.

They're sorted by date so everything from July 1985 is together and next would be all the August 1985 comics and so on. So as I'm re-reading them, I'm reading a month of comics together just like when I bought them. As I fill holes in the collection they slot into the right month. Organizing them this way makes it easier when you reach company-wide crossovers, too!

Right now I'm up to the comics cover-dated October 1986. It's interesting to read them like this because you forget what all was happening at the same time. You forget that at the same time Dark Knight Returns was coming out (a great comic) so was Dakota North (awful comic). While DC was putting out really fun comics ('Mazing Man) there was the really serious as well (Watchmen). The period I'm reading now was a great time to be a comics reader. The original Crisis had finished, Dark Knight had just come out, Watchmen was going, Frank Miller had just finished his run on Daredevil, and DC was restarting a lot of their characters so things were exciting.

I'll spend some time typing in my thoughts about what I'm reading as I go. With 7,000 comics there's always something to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home